Head of department: Mr K Geddes
If you wish to learn more about the curriculum, please contact the head of Department by email: email@example.com
- Years 7-9
- Yr 9 revsion list Summer 2017 exams
In the Mathematics Department we aim to help all pupils build up their confidence in the use of mathematical principles and to develop their mathematical thinking. We firstly endeavour to help make the transition from primary to secondary school as smooth as possible. Then, throughout the whole of KS3, pupils study maths based on the KS3 National Framework for Mathematics. Learning will be a continuous process, building on knowledge gained during KS2. See Scheme of Work Overview Links at the bottom the Mathematics webpage.
- GCSE Y10-11
Exam Board: EDEXCEL
Exam board specification weblink: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/mathematics-2015.html
See Scheme of Work Overview Links at the bottom of the Mathematics webpage.
- A level Y12-13
Exam Board: OCR
Exam Board specification weblink: http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-mathematics-3890-3892-7890-7892/
Key stage 5:
At key stage 5 pupils have the option to sit A Level Maths and A Level Further Maths.
A level Maths:
- Core Mathematics 1 (C1) (AS Unit 4721). Indices and surds; Polynomials; Coordinate geometry and graphs; Differentiation.
- Core Mathematics 2 (C2) (AS Unit 4722). Trigonometry; Sequences and series; Algebra; Integration.
- Mechanics 1 (M1) (AS Unit 4728). Force as a vector; Equilibrium of a particle; Kinematics of motion in a straight line; Newton’s laws of motion; Linear momentum.
- Core Mathematics 3 (C3) (A2 Unit 4723). Algebra and functions; Trigonometry; Differentiation and integration; Numerical methods.
- Core Mathematics 4 (C4) (A2 Unit 4724). Algebra and graphs; Differentiation and integration; Differential equations; Vectors.
- Probability and Statistics 1 (S1) (AS Unit 4732). Representation of data; Probability; Discrete random variables; Bivariate data.
A level Further maths:
- Further Pure Mathematics 1 (FP1) (AS Unit 4725). Summation of series; Mathematical induction; Roots of polynomial equations; Complex numbers; Matrices.
- Mechanics 2 (M2) (A2 Unit 4729). Centre of mass; Equilibrium of a rigid body; Motion of a projectile; Uniform motion in a circle; Coefficient of restitution and impulse; Energy, work and power.
- Decision Mathematics 1 (D1) (AS Unit 4736). Algorithms; Graph theory; Networks; Linear programming.
- Further Pure Mathematics 2 (FP2) (A2 Unit 4726). Rational functions and graphs; Polar coordinates; Hyperbolic functions; Differentiation and integration; Numerical methods.
- Decision Mathematics 2 (D2) (A2 Unit 4737). Game theory; Flows in a network; Matching and allocation problems; Critical path analysis; Dynamic programming.
- Probability and Statistics 2 (S2) (A2 Unit 4733). Continuous random variables; The normal distribution; The Poisson distribution; Sampling and hypothesis tests.
It is our intention that all students leave Oakland’s having had a positive mathematical experience as well as achieving their full potential in the subject.